100 g rye sourdough starter
306 g water
305 g rye flour (dark, stone ground)
Let ferment for 7 hours.
The combine the sourdough starter and 666 g sprouted wheat*. Let ferment for 5 hours.
*To make sprouted wheat kernels: (instructions from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Bread)
- rinse 2 cups (360 g) of berries (whole grain hard red spring wheat) to eliminate stones or dirt
- place grains in a covered container and cover with 4 cups (890g) of water (filtered or spring) at room temperature
- soak for 12-24 hours
- drain the grains
- rinse the soaked grains
- return them to the container, cover, and let sprout at room temperature
- little tails should show within 3-6 hours
- if not, rinse and drain again and wait for the sprouts to show
- refrigerate the sprouted grains until you are ready to use them in final dough.
sourdough starter and wheat
1000g stone ground rye flour
540 g water
170 g dried apricots
23 g salt
Combine the ingredients. Set aside for 1 hour. Shape a boule, put into basket and proof for 8 hours.
at 500F for 20 minutes, with steam
at 450F for 20 minutes
at 400F for 20 minutes.
Let rest for 12-24 hours before slicing.