Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sourdough Rye with Double Chocolate Stout


Neither me nor my husband like drinking beer. If we have any at home it always ends in a meat stew and even more often in my bread. Few days ago I bought four cans of  Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I tastes like dark chocolate and it was very hard for us to finish a can.  So the second can went to the bread dough and it fits there perfectly. I enjoy beer in cheese also. In the photo you can see Cahill's Vintage Irish Cheddar with Porter. The cheese is slightly bitter, but its bitterness disappears when the cheese is melted. I prefer eating  any cheddar this way.



So let's get back to the bread.

I started as usual from preparing a lot of sourdough starter. So I mixed:
350 g hot water
350 g whole wheat .
I let the mixture to cool and then I added 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat sourdough (the amount I keep in   the refrigerator all the time). 
I also soaked:
174 g prunes
48 g dates
in 440 g beer (1can=440 ml).

Twelve hours later I combined:
all of the sourdough starter (minus two tablespoons),
537 g water.
In a large mixing bowl I combined:
1008 g stone ground rye flour
21 g salt
dried fruit and beer.
Then I added the dissolved starter and mixed the dough very carefully. I covered the bowl and I left it in the kitchen for almost 9 hours. 
I packed the dough into two loaf pans lined with parchment paper and topped generously with black sesame seeds. I let the proof for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Baking:
for 20 minutes at 490F
for 20 minutes at 460F
for 20 minutes at 400F (pans and paper removed, directly on the baking stone).

I submit Sourdough Rye with Double Chocolate Stout to  Yeastspotting.


Submitted to Yeastspotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment