Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hearty Spelt Sourdough

I have read about addictions at Exorphin Junkie about bread baking . This is not a kind of blog where you drop in to see photos and leave a comment like this: "What a lovely loaf/rolls/cake. I would love to eat that now". The author makes you think, his writing needs your attention and consideration.

Let's go back to the subject...The hearty spelt sourdough is a proof of my addiction. The dough and loaf spent almost 24 hour in my refrigerator, only because I started preparing the bread when we still had enough to feed us both for two days. But for me, our bread bin was almost empty and I was under the compulsion of refreshing my sourdough. I had to do it to have a peace of mind. After a few years of the regular bread baking, I can't imagine that I don't have my piece of bread at home.  I need my bread to feel safe and confident. I would feel ashamed if I had to go to a bakery and buy a loaf. Of course, only a few people know that I can bake bread and nobody would criticize me.  I should relax and enjoy my life.  But I can’t help myself.
Thanks God, sourdough is more patient than me; it can slow down and even calm me down.  Thanks to sourdough we could eat flavorful, crusty and warm bread for dinner. And there are no leftovers of the previous loaf in our bread bin.


I submit the hearty spelt sourdough to Yeastspotting.



300 g whole wheat sourdough
130 g stone ground rye sourdough
756 g water
708 g  whole spelt flour
300g stone ground rye flour
Mix the ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes.
Then add:
20 g salt
140 sunflower seeds
Knead the dough, cover tightly and refrigerate for 10-12 hours.
Cold-fermented dough
 Then shape a loaf (using buckwheat groats if available), cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
Loaf after removing from the refrigerator
Remove the loaf for 2-3 hours before baking.
Bake :
at 500 F for 15 minutes,
at 470 F for 20 minutes,
at 450 F for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment