Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tricolor Sprouted Quinoa Bread

I'm not a fan quinoa and I really don't understand why it's so fashionable. It has no flavor (after careful rinsing), its smell is not appealing, it's very expensive but for sure it has good PR.
I thought I would look nice in my bread so I bought a bag of this Tricolor Quinoa sold by TJ's stores.
Anyway, bread is light, moist and extremely  tasty.
I submit the Tricolor Quinoa Bread to Yeastspotting.



Sprouted quinoa:
128 g raw tricolor quinoa

430 g water

I rinsed the quinoa under running water; then I soaked rinsed grains in the water. I left it in the kitchen. Three hours later I noticed  that the quinoa has sprouted. I drained the seeds, returned them to the bowl and put into my oven. Of course, the oven was cold; it is a safe place (dry and dark) and I always keep there fermenting sourdough or bread dough. I left the quinoa inside the oven for 12 hours. Then I refrigerated it until I was ready to use it. (It should be eaten in 1-2  days.)

Sourdough Starter:
250 g whole wheat flour
250 g water
50 g whole wheat sourdough
I mixed  the ingredients for the starter and let them  ferment overnight.

Final Dough:
I combined:
1000 g  hot water
1000 g stone ground rye flour
206 g pitted  pruned.
When it was cool enough to mix it with my hand  I added:
537 g whole wheat sourdough starter
350 g sprouted quinoa
25 g salt
 4 Meyer lemons, zest only
I combined the ingredients and let them ferment for 4 hours at room temperature. Then I put the dough into 2 loaf pans (lined with parchment paper) and let the loaves proof for 3 hours in the kitchen.
Before proofing
Proofed

 I baked the loaves : for 20 minutes at 500F, for 20 minutes at 460F and for 20 minutes at 450F.





1 comment:

  1. This bread ROCKS.
    I generally don't like the "healthy goodness" type breads, and now I know why. They are not THIS bread. :)
    I, too, had a surplus of quinoa which no one was interested in, so I sprouted it and put into bread.
    I love everything about this bread - the density, the crust, the crumb, the sweetness, the complete absence of the white flour, and the shelf life.
    Will definitely recommend to anyone, and will try again many times over.

    ReplyDelete