Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Palm Bread inspired by La Paume


Submitting toYeastspotting.



I have read about La Paume -Palm (as in "the palm of your hand") Bread at Chocolate & Zucchini and I wished I could bake it. I knew that I wouldn't buy the French flour farine bise (  bise means dark grey or greyish) in NY. But I have had the second important ingredients of La Paume : coarse grey see salt from France. So I decided to bake my own simple sourdough with the salt.


Sourdough Starter:
65 g whole wheat sourdough
100 g water
143 g flour
Combine the ingredients and let ferment for 12 hours.

Soaker:
248 g boiling water
22 g coarse grey sea salt
248 g whole wheat flour
Mix the ingredients, cover and let sit at room temperature for 12 hours.

Final Dough:
all of the sourdough
all of the soaker
368 g water
656 g whole wheat flour

Combine the ingredients and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead for 10 minutes. Let ferment for 90 minutes, then stretch and fold the dough. Let sit for another 90 minutes at room temperature.
Divide the dough into two pieces. Let rest for 10 minutes. Then preshape two loose rounds. Let rest for 20 minutes. Shape the tight oval or round  loaves. Refrigerate for 18-20 hours.


Baking:


Remove the loaves from the refrigerator just as the oven is preheated. Preheat your oven with baking stone to 500ºF. Score the loaves and put in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 480ºF (with steam) and for 15-25 minutes at 450ºF.







No comments:

Post a Comment