Keks go to Special Holiday Edition of YeastSpotting which will be posted on December 6.
I have posted this recipe in Polish (http://bochenkowo.blogspot.com/2010/05/keks-ku-pamieci-mamy.html) and I've decided it is worth sharing with people around the world.
250 g all-propose flour
150 g unsalted butter
100-120 g sugar
5 eggs ( yolks and whites separated)
350g mix of dried fruit, nuts and candied orange peel,chopped
2 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoon rum
pinch of salt
bread crumbs and butter to grease a loaf pan (11,7 x 4,4 x 3 inch )
* a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan may be too small
- Soak dried fruit and nuts in hot water for 20 minutes, drain and chop. Mix soaked fruit with rum and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter, sugar and yolks (add the yolks in one at a time, mixing well after each addition).
- Slowly add flour mixture to the creamed mixture, mix thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites.and add to the batter.
- Coat soaked fruit and chopped nuts with extra teaspoon of flour. Stir in the batter.
- Put batter into the pan and smooth.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.